Monday, September 7, 2009

and sushi sushi sushi

I didn't always love sushi. Years ago (many many), I lied to a young man saying, "I love sushi," and proceeded to marry him. One day, in a fit of venting, I yelled out, "And I HATE sushi." I suspect it was more a moment of, 'I hate everything,' but it seemed the appropriate time to begin to dismantle one of the foundational blocks of our relationship.

If you've been in that mode, that process of breaking the glass walls of a loving partnership, you know years can go by before the real crash occurs. My, "I hate sushi," moment was a very early on predecessor of things to come. But it did elicit the response I wanted. Ahhhh, the sweet moment of success when you thoroughly pull the rug out from under - or in this case, the placemat off the sushi bar.

But you know how when you do that, when you pull the rug out, you've won but you're also left feeling uneasy, off balance, and you spend much time afterwards waiting for the other shoe to drop? Not your own shoe necessarily but you know it's coming. No one wins an argument without losing something else. The comeuppance for me, the just deserts, was that sushi was not mentioned ever again. When looking for dinner options, it was not suggested. If passing a heretofore favorite sushi bar, eyes averted in a different direction.

Sushi was never again offered.

I found myself missing being greeted at sushi bars with their rousing chorus of, "Ko-neeeee-cheeee-wah!"

I wanted to get up from a sushi bar and turn to the Japanese chefs and say, "Ar-i-gato gez-im-us," in order to enjoy their big grins at my attempt at a Japanese thank you.

But, oh my, it is hard to give in, isn't it? To step back with humility and say that maybe, perhaps I was a bit harsh, that after much thought, I was in fact 'having a taste' for sushi. That the thought of a bowl of fresh steamed edamame was wafting through my consciousness. As odd as it seemed, could I admit that sudden pangs for raw fish were entering my being?

To fall on my own sword and say, "I'd like to go for sushi. Dough-Zo." (That's please.)

Then, alas, this stronger than I could bear desire for sushi came when I was pregnant with Daughter Number 1. And so began, after a sheepish admission on my part that I might like some sushi, a journey into the culture of raw fish that has stayed with me through Daughter Number 2 and to this day. The penance I now pay for this is that both Daughters have been sushi mavens since toddler days. Yes, we were those annoying parents, with a two year old taking up a seat at the sushi bar and another one in a back pack turned front. My children were those impish darlings smashing rubber banded chopsticks at each other. Rice droppings covered the floor wherever we sat. When many parents had children who screamed for Happy Meals from McD's, I would beg mine to want a meal that cost only $2.99. "No," my daughters would plead at seven years of age, "Can't we have sushi?"

Over the years, it became a mainstay of our culinary life. Mine as well. It grew on me to the point that I do, I admit, I do love sushi! Ar-i-gato!

It's not a surprise that both daughters live in California and eat sushi for breakfast or lunch more often than not. Daughter Number 2 often gets looks of adoration from sushi bar chefs as she 'shoots' a half dozen raw quail eggs, her true favorite order at the bar. Daughter Number 1's first choice is a full-on plate of raw white fish called, 'Is-Zoo Zoo-Cur-i' which, if you ask for a bite, she gives you a look that begs the question - can't you get your own?

In Chicago, it's not that you cannot find sushi, and it is good, but the Southern CA culture of raw fish is much more embracing. Most of the restaurants in Chicago, in true Democratic fashion, have added a player to the game - the waiter who takes your order even at the sushi bar. This little additional cog in the wheel, this person standing next to you with an order pad, well, for me, it really zaps the warm hug of ordering from the sushi bar chef. How do you say to a waiter, "You pick it, make me something special." Or ask the waiter, "What've you got tonight?" When I've tried, it takes the fun out of it to see the waiter's quizzical look or them turning to the sushi bar chef and asking for me.

This is just me, my own weird want, but that deprives me of a moment of connection, the look from the sushi bar chef showing that he respects my request, that in fact, wow, on occasion, what I asked for was deemed 'way cool'. Sorry to say this, but going for sushi was kind of depressing for me the last few years in Chi town. Not bad. Just not a soulful high.

Now that I'm back in L.A., I've got to tell you, I've returned and found a 'raw fish phenom!' Whereas, in the past having a sushi meal was a big bucks investment, now sushi is AVAILABLE. Every couple blocks, in most L.A. neighborhoods I've passed through, there is sushi. Fancy sushi. Expensive sushi. Cheap sushi. Fast food sushi. Sushi alone. Sushi with Thai. Sushi sushi sushi. A quick google search and up comes at least a dozen places within a couple miles of me. Look at the list below. And thank you to Pazzaz Sushi for the cool pic above. If you are nearby, I had an incredible meal last week at Sushi Koda on Sunset in the Junction. The chef, Josh, is kind of a talker, but he's into it and that makes it all the better. Or, go to the Century City Mall and see what they've done to the marketplace. Wow! Sushi and much more. (Hey all my ex-BA friends, remember when we worked near there:)

It's superb to be back, surrounded by sun and good food, and lots of raw fish.
Happy meals.

Sushi-Gen · (213) 617-0552 · Directions
Sushi Roku · Website · (323) 655-6767 · Directions
Takami Sushi & Robata · Website · (213) 236-9600 · Directions
Sushi Sasabune · (310) 820-3596 · Directions
Sushi Go 55 · Website · (213) 687-0777 · Directions
En Sushi · Website · (310) 477-1551 · Directions
Mori Sushi · Website · (310) 479-3939 · Directions
Mia Sushi · Website · (323) 256-2562 · Directions
En Sushi - www.ensushi.com - (323) 664-1891 - 12 reviews
Niko Niko Sushi - maps.google.com - (323) 953-8900 - 19 reviews
California Roll & Sushi Fishi - maps.google.com - (323) 666-1400
Sushi Kaiho - maps.google.com - (323) 666-1019 - 6 reviews
Pizzaz Sushi - pazzazsushi.com - (323) 644-0771 - 5 reviews
Saito's Sushi - maps.google.com - (323) 663-8890 - 23 reviews
Pazzaz Sushi - pazzazsushi.com - (323) 662-0038 - 1 review
Zen Sushi Restaurant - maps.google.com - (323) 665-2929 - 28 reviews
Mia Sushi - www.mia-sushi.com - (323) 256-2562 - 67 reviews
Koda Sushi - maps.google.com - (323) 663-1048 - 15 reviews

Marcia's advice for today: 鮭が上流に泳ぐ (that's sink or swim)

Marcia's 'listen to' song for today: Lovers in Japan by Coldplay

No comments:

Post a Comment