Thursday, August 20, 2009

Entering California

I'm a traveler. I travel. Have forever and a day. There's an actual moment for me on a plane where I make a conscious decision to change my watch. It's a part of the excitement of leaving and arriving. Change your watch too soon and it kills the fun anxiety of getting somewhere.

In Utah, I thought about changing my watch. But I didn't. Wasn't ready. Didn't want Utah to be the place that a new time zone became mine. Not in Las Vegas or Primm. Just not the location where I would move the hands on my watch on my wrist. My life wasn't going to change in Nevada. Even winning at the slots wasn't enough to effect the change I'm readying myself to meet and embrace.

Years ago, driving across the desert, after Nevada, before California, ranch guy and I picked up a young man walking alone in the heat. He wore a white shirt, black pants, and he held a bible. Just walking through the desert to a town where he worked in a restaurant. Ranch guy had to help him. He couldn't take this young man walking alone in the hot desert.

David sat in the back seat and told us how much he appreciated the ride. Said, "No, not a lot to do out here." Told us he reads the Psalms as he walks.

I was reminded of David as I entered California. Time to reset time. I poked the buttons on my radio and launched Pacific time into my life. I'm here. I'm back. I have no idea where I'm going to live, what I'll be doing. But for this 'lady alone,' this 50+ woman, traveling light and living large, I'm anticipating life. Psalm 108 says, "Through God we shall do valiantly."

So valiantly, my watch set back to the time of Pacific coast sun rise and sunset, I am here, and anticipating my life. Gosh, thank God, that I can still pickup, drive across country, change my life, and throw caution to my guardian angels. All of you!


Marcia's advice for today:
If you need encouragement, go to the psalms. There's one for every occasion.

Marcia's 'listen to' song for today: Round Here by Counting Crows.

No comments:

Post a Comment