Sunday, August 9, 2009

Iowa...Nebraska...Discovering Lincoln, NE (Chicago's little sister?)

Leaving Illinois and heading west should be heralded by music and chimes and archangels singing as the sun rises to midday. But that doesn't happen. There's not a lot along the way. I stopped in Dixon, IL. Reagan's birthplace. It made me wonder who, what kind of people, would be stopping to see the home Regan grew up in. There weren't crowds but some people were there. Mostly with McCain/Palin bumper stickers on their cars.

100_3777

I didn't really hang out but headed into town and found a super Mexican Restaurant. Two brothers and real Mex food. I highly recommend the chicken tacos but think they could work on their red salsa. I bet later in the day, with a Corona and some chips, it's probably a good spot from which to sit and watch Dixon. For me, Reagan vs. Salamander - easy pick! Here's their sign:

100_3774

I hit the road west and must tell you, there's not a lot of compelling distraction after Dixon. Thought I'd end up in Iowa but kept going. Thought I'd end up in Omaha but kept going. Kind of tired when I got to Lincoln, NE. It was late but I did a quick drive through the downtown. Very CHICAGO! I'm wondering if maybe Lincoln and Chicago are sister cities. Anybody know? Even restaurants with Chicago in their name. Looked tres north side!

It wasn't fancy but I spent the night at the EconoLodge run by Victor and Suni Patel. Clean place, nice people, and only $49.00. Great deal. Suni seemed pretty serious when I checked in. No smile. But in the morning, I said to her, "Gosh, whoever does the sheets - they are super. Like the nicest sheets ever!" Then she lit up like a smiley face. Glad I could make her morning. So, if you need a good 'value for money' place, go to 1140 W Cornhusker Hwy and check out the sheets. Here's Suni smiling:

100_3780

Thanks, Suni!

Marcia advice today: Go ahead, make someone's day.

Marcia's 'listen to' song for today: Sister Nebraska by Tarkio.

No comments:

Post a Comment