Tuesday, August 11, 2009

Visiting the Future You Didn't Get



Bah, bah, bah……like, blah, blah, blah……or blog, blog, blog.



My destination after Lincoln was to make it to Parker, CO, outside of Denver, to visit Ed and Deb at their ranch. It meant I would have to drive like heck across Nebraska which goes on and on and then just continues without much momentum. One road. One direction. Good high speed limit.

I arrived at Deb & Ed's Western Spirit Ranch just in time for dinner. Take a look: http://wsrllc.com/

I must say, it was everything I expected and more. So, here I'll share a secret with you. At one time, I thought I would live on a ranch with Ed someday. This was back in the hey-day of telecommunications. He was an engineer in San Diego and I was in MarComm. A dynamic west coast, near the Pacific Ocean, couple. But after 9/11, so much went awry. Telecomms was nose diving, and the many perks of engineering in San Diego were changing. Ed kept talking about going to Colorado and I kinda many possibly thought about it,,,,,but truly,,,,,I mean, do you know me? I don't get to shop at Saks that often, but Saks Fifth Off is a favorite of mine! As destiny would have it, Ed did head to the Rockies and I stayed in San Diego, and life played itself out.

You know that feeling when you 'let life play out' and you are left wondering what would have happened if you'd exerted yourself, your soul and spirit, your energy into making_something_happen. Then other things happen and life moves a little too fast and things fall into their slots, and you want to say, "Hey, wait, I wasn't ready for that to be set in stone." But it is. Ed got a job there. Met a lady who loved to ranch. Who was in telecomms and raised llamas! Alpacas, too! I mean go figure? How does that happen? Deb. Lovely Deb. With her own RAM 2500 truck. A smart lady, with llamas and lambs, and a RAM truck. And get this? Are you ready? She rides horses as well. Oh, just throw me to the slaughter.

Now you may be thinking, what is Marcia doing going to visit the ranch?

But if you know me, you know I really don't ever let go of a friendship. People may come, then go for awhile, I might flit in and out, but even if I don't have a mate, my friends are my mates for life.

I spent two days following everyone around on the ranch. Watched them pickup bales of hay for the animals. Walked into the barn as Ed called out to about 50 alpacas, "Hey, how are my ladies?" All 50 of them walked forward in their corral, big black eyes, resting on us humans, and I must say, these ladies are stellar beautiful.

There's the guard llama (that's a guy). My picture does no justice to this guy at all. Imagine that he has dreadlocks trailing down him, a coat of henna red brown

long hair. Like major cool. And a blond lady alpaca - isn't she a lovely lovely soul?

But you're wondering, what was that like for you, Marcia? On the ranch? On Ed and Deb's ranch? Cute animals, yes, but reality, please.

Well, the truth is I had a wonderful time. Some moments of wanderlust. Thoughts of what if, what if, what if. But, bottom line, Deb and Ed are perfect. An incredible home on the range couple of people who love what they do, who give to the land and to animals with their generous spirits, and who will leave this world a much better place for having cared for Western Spirit Ranch. And as for me, well, I did fall in love while I was there. At long last, the dog of my dreams, Wes. Who decided to be my guy, my guard, my angel. Wes followed me anywhere I went. Sat at my side while I read. While I watched day turn to evening to night. Finally, a dog that I could relate to. Those of you who know me, know that I'm not much of an animal person. (Not much, you say!) But I've always thought that if there was a dog that would get my heart, it would be a Border Collie. Wes proved this true for me.


Maybe, I don't live on a ranch. But I've got friends on the range. A dog named Wes who loves me. (He was 'that into me,' I could tell). And I had the gift of seeing with my own eyes what might never have been. How many of us are so blessed....I am.


Marcia's advice for today:

Going west is easier if you get to visit with Wes.


Marcia's 'listen to' song for today: Stay by Sugarland.






No comments:

Post a Comment